Monday, August 13, 2007

During the Storm

Read Matthew 11:25-30

Context: Jesus was teaching the crowds in Galillee. John the Baptist's followers had just asked him if he was the 'one who was to come', and he has just finished denouncing the cities who had not repented when he preached there.

Text:
25At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. 26Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.
27"All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (NIV)

taken from www.biblegateway.com

Were you weary and burdened last night? I know that I was, and I had a hard time turning my concerns over to God. Our power was out, the storm was loud and wild, and I had been looking forward to the first day of school so I could work uninterrupted on a project that is due tomorrow. Which happened to be locked in my computer that was dead due to the power outage. I mentally took inventory of the refrigerator and freezer, calculating what we might lose and figuring out how to feed the family with the least possible number of times to open the fridge. I tried to figure out where I would need to take my computer so I could get power. I wondered if that was thunder or the dreaded 'freight train' sound that we in North County have learned to fear. I planned the fastest way to get our kids out of bed and down in the basement in the least amount of time. Did you do the same?

Yet despite my concerns and frantic plans, I knew that God would take care of us. Yes, it would be a hardship to be without power for several days, but we've survived that before. I think that is a key difference between those of us who have accepted a Savior and those who haven't. I know without a doubt that God will provide for us, regardless of the situation. As my concerns turned to prayers, I fell back asleep.

At about 6:00 this morning out power came back on, and while my day isn't quite what I had planned, I know it will all work out. As you read this, I know that you, too, have power this morning (both of the electrical and Spiritual kind). Check on those you know who might not have power this morning and see what you can do to help! Maybe the best thing you could do is pray that they, too, rest easy under the yoke of Jesus.

No comments: