Friday, November 2, 2007

In a Strange Land

Read Hebrews 11:13-15

Context: This is commonly called the "Hall of Faith". So far in this chapter, Paul has commended Abel, Enoch, Noah, and Abraham.

Text
13All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. 14People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. 15If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. 16Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them. (NIV)


taken from www.biblegateway.com

Have you ever been in a place where you were a total stranger? Maybe you moved to a new city and didn't know a soul in the area. Don't tell my mother or my husband, but once, on a business trip to Spain, I left the hotel alone and ventured out into the busiest area of Madrid (their equivalent to our Times Square). Despite assurances from co-workers back home, no one I encountered spoke English. I left my purse back at the hotel because I'd been warned about pickpockets, and it occurred to me that if something happened, not a soul would know who or where I was.

But Madrid is a very friendly city, and I'd traveled that way before with coworkers. Once I got past the "you know you shouldn't be doing this" thoughts in my head, I had a marvelous time. The city is beautiful, the people animated, and the energy of the place is amazing.

A few Americans had relocated there to help get a satellite office started, and they had adventurous stories of unusual customs and lessons learned. And yes, I did find many within that office who spoke beautiful English...just not many on the street.

Can you imagine how Abram felt when he left his family and friends behind to travel to a new land? They spoke a new language and had very different ways of doing things. It was up to Abram's family to learn the new ways in order to survive. I imagine they grew very close to each other since they were the only ones with shared experiences. And they influenced others with their beliefs.

God has put us, as Christians, into a world that is very foreign to his perfect righteousness. We need to learn about the language and the customs, but he doesn't want us to become so familiar that we are no longer distiguishable from the natives. We need to cling to each other for support, and we should live our lives in such a way that others, though they may persecute us, will see God and be drawn to him.

What will you do today to represent God to those around you?

No comments: