Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Final Advice?

Read 2 Peter 1:10-15

Context: Continuation from yesterday

Text:
10Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, 11and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
12So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have. 13I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, 14because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. 15And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things. (NIV)


taken from www.biblegateway.com

Peter had a close relationship with Jesus -- he was one of the three members of the 'inner circle' who seemed to be with Jesus wherever he went (Peter, James, and John). He sat at Christ's feet, heard his message multiple times, and had the opportunity to ask some difficult questions. But none of the apostles were really ready when Jesus was arrested.

Peter knows that his time is short. 'Tradition' says that he was crucified upside down because he didn't feel he was worthy of a Christ-like death. Like Jesus, he is trying to share the most critical pieces of advice before he dies. He's not just repeating what has been said before, he's trying with a sense of desperation to make sure we really understand the most important things about our faith. The things we will learn from this book are his final words to those who weren't physically close to him.

I'm sure that, from Heaven, Peter is pleased that his advice lives on!

No comments: