Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Numbers Day 2

Today's Reading: Exodus 9, 11, 13

Context: These three chapters cover separate, but related, topics. Chapter 9 addresses the celebration of Passover as an annual event, chapter 11 details the Israelites frustration with manna, and chapter 13 covers the exploration of the Promised Land.

Today's Devotion: Numbers 11:21-23
21 But Moses said, "Here I am among six hundred thousand men on foot, and you say, 'I will give them meat to eat for a whole month!' 22 Would they have enough if flocks and herds were slaughtered for them? Would they have enough if all the fish in the sea were caught for them?"
23 The LORD answered Moses, "Is the LORD's arm too short? You will now see whether or not what I say will come true for you." (NIV)


Taken from www.biblegateway.com

After reading all three chapters, verse 11:23 seems to sum up the whole intent of today's reading. The people quickly forgot the miracles God performed in Egypt, and he gave them a permanent reminder. They got frustrated with the gift of food they had received (and I'm sure I would have been complaining, too), and God provided meat. They were scared of the people in the land God was providing, yet they couldn't remember, or maybe couldn't believe, that he would really deliver it to them, too.

God is the same today as he was yesterday, and his arms are still long enough to surround us with his love. Next time I'm tempted to doubt, I hope I remember God's reply to Moses, "Is the Lord's arm too short? You will not see whether or not whjat I say will come true for you." I also want to remember to be careful what I ask for...the Israelites request for meat resulted in piles of quail three feet deep!

No comments: