Thursday, April 24, 2008

Quiet Time With The Lord - Day 4

Today's Reading: Matthew 6:5-8
5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

taken from www.biblegateway.com

Have you been tempted to pray aloud on a street corner lately? Most of us are uncomfortable praying out loud among a group of church peers, much less out in the open in front of strangers. In fact, I would have great difficulty praying on a street corner just because of all the distractions!

I got started on my quiet time a little late this morning, and as I got close to the end our twin boys woke up and started munching their Poptarts next to me. While I know it sets a good example to pray in front of your children, I find that I do much better when I'm alone. Even studying the Bible becomes more difficult when others are in the room.

I don't have a 'special' place to do my study. I really like to have a table to write on and I find that if my chair is too comfy I tend to drift off, so I just use our kitchen table. I'd love to have my quiet time outside, but even then I get distracted by birds, clouds, and things that need to be done in the garden.

Jesus found his place for communing with God in the Garden of Gethsemane. Luke tells us that he went there often to pray, and it's fitting that this was the location of his prayer for strength before he was taken away and crucified.

Have you found a place where you are able to study and pray reverently?

No comments: