Friday, May 23, 2008

Job Day 5

Read Job 42

Today's Devotion - Job 42:1-9
1 Then Job replied to the LORD :
2 "I know that you can do all things;
no plan of yours can be thwarted.

3 You asked, 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?'
Surely I spoke of things I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me to know.

4 "You said, 'Listen now, and I will speak;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.'

5 My ears had heard of you
but now my eyes have seen you.

6 Therefore I despise myself
and repent in dust and ashes." (NIV)


taken from www.biblegateway.com

When I read this the first time, I wondered what things could possibly be too wonderful for us to know? Isn't good news motivating and exciting?

But if you think about it, our lives are filled with wonderful things that we won't really learn about for a period of time. Like Christmas gifts, if we know what awaits us it isn't nearly as much fun. If Job had known that God would heal his sores and return all things two-fold to him in the end, would it have made his misery less miserable? Would he have learned all the things he learned about God, or would he have just waited for the pain to end, counting down the days?

If we understand the outcome of a situation, will we be less likely to do the difficult things that will get us there? For instance, if we we had a horrible disease and knew that we'd be cured, would we really be willing to go through all the painful treatments? Would we pray as diligently and rely so fully on God?

Maybe in the not knowing we are able to fight harder to succeed and we rest more completely in God's arms. The journey may be of more value than the destination, making the destination more appreciated.

No comments: