Thursday, June 19, 2008

Amos and Jonah -- Day 4

Read Amos 6

Today's Devotion -- Amos 6:1
1 Woe to you who are complacent in Zion,
and to you who feel secure on Mount Samaria,
you notable men of the foremost nation,
to whom the people of Israel come!(NIV)


taken from www.biblegateway.com

Christians have been called the Moral Majority, but also the Silent Majority. Most of us have grown up in an 'I'm OK, You're OK' world, and we've been taught by our parents, our teachers, and television that we should feel free to be who we are, but to also let others be free in whom they want to be. Which, in reality, means that we are not to tell others that what they are doing or how they are living is wrong.

Which has resulted in legalized abortion, same-sex marriages, distribution of condoms in our schools, inappropriate yet popular tv shows and movies, and the removal of God from school and government offices.

I know that I am guilty of turning my head and pretending not to see these things. Who am I to stand up and tell others that they are wrong when I know that I am still a sinner, too? Doesn't it seem judgmental to look at the speck in anothers eye when I have a plank sticking out of my own?

But there is a difference in being judgmental about a person and telling God's truth about sin. True, those we share this truth with will most likely look at us as hypocrites or zealots, but does that make our responsibility to share any less urgent? And how do we 'love the person/hate the sin' without the person thinking that we are judging them?

I struggle with these things, and so I remain silent...even complacent. It's easy to feel secure in our little Christian cocoon...but I'm not sure that's what God wants.

Woe to us who are complacent and feel secure! I need to pray more about this one...

No comments: