Friday, January 16, 2009

Putting our Money Where Our Mouths Are...

Today's Verses -- Acts 4:32-37
32All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had. 33With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all. 34There were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales 35and put it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to anyone as he had need.
36Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means Son of Encouragement), 37sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles' feet. (NIV)

taken from www.biblegateway.com

If I'm totally honest, I really don't like these verses. I think it's really cool that the believers did this, but I don't want to have to do the same. I unfortunately hold on pretty tightly to lots of things...some of them are totally worthless and only take up space. Some of them I don't even like, but someone special gave them to me so I cling to them. I know that if a disaster occurred I'd get over this stuff, but in the meantime it's mine and I hold on to it.

Things that may come in handy some day, like business books. I might want to use them if I consult or write an article about that topic. In reality, I could get these books from the library with just a day or two notice. Or, worst case, I could purchase them again.

Or children's toys. They have been sitting unused for months, cluttering up the boys bedroom. The aren't played with anymore, but we spent money on them and I hate to see that wasted. Is it better to look at the pile of waste each day than to pass it on to someone who might enjoy them because they don't have any toys?

Unfortunately I could go on...clothes I hope to fit into again, furniture that doesn't get used much, extra cans of food because it was on sale, hobby supplies that I plan to use 'someday' (that one hurts...).

God will supply our every need (and lots of our wants, too). Sometimes it is truly miraculous, like the feast Jesus provided for the 5000. Othertimes is is simply an act of obedience as we give up our stuff so others can have their basic needs met.

It is easy to give a little spare money or a meal here and there...and it is greatly appreciated by others. But what have I done lately that was sacrificial? We've given away things that were in the way or unused, but we seldom change our lifestyle in order to help someone else.

I have a challenge for you...and we'll take it too. During the month of February, see if you can adjust your eating habits so you spend no more than $100 on food during the month...that is at the grocery store AND eating out! Use your grocery money for the rest of this month to stock up on basics, and in February only buy fresh produce, bread, and dairy products. For the rest of your needs, clean out your pantries and freezers! Donate your savings to a needy family or TEAM (The Emergency Assistance Ministry).

We did this last year, so I know it's possible. You can see what lessons we learned on my blog. Click on 'frugal February' in the list on the left. Hopefully we'll do better this year.

If that doesn't work for you, see what you could give up for the month...your morning Starbucks, eating out, going to the movies, soda...you name it. Let's see how much we could collect in just one month! Leave a comment below and share your plans!

No comments: