Monday, February 11, 2008

Getting Caught

We are embarking on a journey through the entire Bible! This week Steve has asked us to read at least Genesis 1-27 and 49. Our daily Bible studies will involve texts from those sections. If you read four chapters per day you can complete this assignment.

Monday -- Genesis 1-3 (click here if you want to read this on-line)

Text for devotion: Gen 3:6-11

Context: God has created the entire world, including vegetation and animal/human life. Eve was created and has encountered the serpent, who is tempting her to sin.

Text:
6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.
8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?"

10 He answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid."

11 And he said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?" (NIV)


Taken from www.biblegateway.com

Do you remember being a child and having done something wrong? When I was very young (I had to be about three), my friend convinced me that we should raid his Mom's kitchen. I have no recollection of where his mom might have been at the time, but we opened the refrigerator and the pantry and had a little feast. All I really remember about the actual banquet was eating dry cake mix while he drank from the ketchup bottle. However, I do remember the repercussions. About the time we decided we were full, we must have looked around the kitchen and realized that we had done a bad thing! I remember running home and hiding in my bed with the covers pulled all the way over my head.

Eventually I heard those dreaded footsteps. Somehow my mother found me (hmmm...she must have had x-ray vision), and I knew before the blankets were pulled back that I was in deep trouble. I can't remember getting a spanking, but I do remember that I had to get all the pennies out of my piggy bank and take them to my friends mother, telling her that I was sorry. And I remember that the pantry had a lock on it from that time forward!

I've also done things as a Christian that made me want to hide from God...but somehow he always finds me. I've never had to listen for his footsteps like Adam and Eve did, but I have concocted great explanations of why I did what I did...all pretty useless.

I wonder if God giggles at our feeble attempts to hide from him the same way my Mom did when she saw that quivering lump under the blankets?

No comments: