Monday, September 10, 2007

The Best Roses Have Thorns

Read 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Context: Paul writes this second note to the Corinthians in response to news of false teachers influencing the church. They were teaching incorrect doctrine and they were challenging Paul's credibility as an apostle. This passage follows a description of "a man's" vision of Heaven (interpreted as Paul's vision).

Text:
7-10Because of the extravagance of those revelations, and so I wouldn't get a big head, I was given the gift of a handicap to keep me in constant touch with my limitations. Satan's angel did his best to get me down; what he in fact did was push me to my knees. No danger then of walking around high and mighty! At first I didn't think of it as a gift, and begged God to remove it. Three times I did that, and then he told me,

My grace is enough; it's all you need.
My strength comes into its own in your weakness.
Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size—abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become. (The Message)

taken from www.biblegateway.com

These verses are pretty familiar to those who have been studying God's word for even a short time. I liked Steve's advice to read familiar texts in a different version, so today's scripture is from The Message version of the Bible.

God knows that we need to understand our limitations. I've never thought of physical and emotional challenges as 'gifts' as they are interpreted here. What would happen if we didn't have human temptations and suffering to remind us that we are mere mortals? How often have the 'thorns in your flesh' (terminology from other versions) driven you to your knees?

Satan is the one who wants you to dwell on your limitations and complain about how you wish things were different. When we focus on the negative, he is ecstatic because we have taken our eyes off of God.

Your challenge today is to actively thank God for the challenges he has given you, for the daily reminders you have that you are only flesh and blood. See them as the gifts they are -- God's loving reminders to rely on His power in your life instead of your own.

We may not realize the value of the gift on this side of Heaven, but imagine your joy when God shows you what you could have become without it....a pretty scary thought.

No comments: