Thursday, September 20, 2007

Dressin' Up?

Romans 13:8-14

Context: This is a segment of Paul's letter to the Romans that discusses the practical applications of making Christ the Lord of every part of their lives.

Text:
8-10Don't run up debts, except for the huge debt of love you owe each other. When you love others, you complete what the law has been after all along. The law code—don't sleep with another person's spouse, don't take someone's life, don't take what isn't yours, don't always be wanting what you don't have, and any other "don't" you can think of—finally adds up to this: Love other people as well as you do yourself. You can't go wrong when you love others. When you add up everything in the law code, the sum total is love.
11-14But make sure that you don't get so absorbed and exhausted in taking care of all your day-by-day obligations that you lose track of the time and doze off, oblivious to God. The night is about over, dawn is about to break. Be up and awake to what God is doing! God is putting the finishing touches on the salvation work he began when we first believed. We can't afford to waste a minute, must not squander these precious daylight hours in frivolity and indulgence, in sleeping around and dissipation, in bickering and grabbing everything in sight. Get out of bed and get dressed! Don't loiter and linger, waiting until the very last minute. Dress yourselves in Christ, and be up and about! (MSG)

taken from www.biblegateway.com

It's amazing how the clothes I am wear impact the way I feel. If I get up in the morning and put on sweats and an old t-shirt, I'm pretty motivated to sit around and look at the work I need to do. If I get dressed a little more nicely and put on shoes and socks, I feel like I'm ready to work and I get a lot done. When I go out in public the difference is magnified. I frequently get copies made a the local office supply store. If I am dressed in a somewhat professional manner I find that I get much better service! I am not planning to spend any more money, but for some reason the workers get the impression that I am more serious about my shopping.

Judgmental? Sure, but it's reality. Studies have shown that people make an unconscious decision about whether or not they may like us within the first 3 - 5 seconds! That's not enough time to open your mouth and show them what a wonderful personality you have.

Each day we chose what we will wear. Sometimes we grab clothes that were left in pile on the floor, and others we dress up for a special occasion. The way we act and the way we are treated are a result of that choice.

Each day we also get to choose how we will behave. Will I act like everyone else, or will I act like Christ? If I neglect to pay attention to that choice I will blend into the world and it is much easier to fall into an attitude of 'me first' -- frustration at those who cut me off in traffic, impatience with the store clerk who is slow, desire for things I really don't need. But if I put on Christ, I am more patient, I tend to pray for those folks that cause frustration, and I look for opportunities to help others.

If only I could throw out all those 'old' clothes and fill my spiritual closet with Christ alone!

What did you choose to wear today?

No comments: