Friday, September 7, 2007

God's Still Working

Read Philippians 1:3-11

Context: Paul is sending the Philippians a thank you note for the support they have provided and an update on his missionary journey.

Text:
3I thank my God every time I remember you. 4In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 5because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
7It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. 8God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.

9And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, 10so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, 11filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God. (NIV)

taken from www.biblegateway.com

So many of my Christian doubts stem from my own inability to follow God's word perfectly -- or even adequately. I know that no one can be perfect, but I really want to get this right! How many times can I mess it up before God throws up his hands in disgust and turns the other way? I think I've far surpassed the 'seventy times seven' that Jesus proclaimed.

Then, just as I'm feeling really discouraged I come across Philippians 1:6. God has just started his work with me (even though it's been several years since I accepted him as Lord). In some areas he's still having to use a chain saw to cut off the rough branches, but in other areas he's moved on to a fine chisel to create his own special design. Both can hurt, but as I look back I can see that I have changed a lot from where I was when he started on me.

Like everything else, God will complete his work in his own time. Then I will be perfect in his eyes...a much harder target to reach than I'm capable of imagining right now. Yet that is really all that counts. I am so thankful that he doesn't give up!

No comments: