Monday, October 1, 2007

My Own Room

Read John 14:1-3

Context: Jesus and his apostles are feasting at his final Passover supper. He has washed their feet, he's predicted his betrayal, and Judas just left to set an eternal plan into motion. Peter has agreed to follow Jesus anywhere, even to death, but Jesus just shook his head and sadly told Peter than even that night Peter would turn away. Yet he has words of hope...

Text:
1"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God[a]; trust also in me. 2In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. (NIV)

Footnotes:

John 14:1 Or You trust in God
taken from www.Biblegateway.com

Have you ever gone to visit someone and been treated like a king when you got there? Maybe you were coming home from college for the first time, or perhaps you were visiting a friend or relative that you haven't seen for a long time. Several years ago I visited a friend from college. She had just given birth to a baby girl, and I was pregnant...she was going to teach me how to take care of babies (ok, it was more than several years ago...my first child is now 21...).

When I arrived she showed me to the guest room. There were pretty towels available for me to use, she'd put out a plate of cookies and container of water on the bedside table, and there were even several new magazines for me to read. She'd filled her refrigerator with things that she knew I liked, and she pampered me all weekend. I obviously still remember how special she made me feel.

If a worldly friend can make us feel special, how much more will Jesus make our entrance to Heaven special? He's been preparing our rooms for 2000 years. The rooms in God's mansion will be filled with wonderful things that we can't even imagine...things we didn't even know about that are perfect for us. I bet there will even be amazing chocolates on the pillow!

I'm glad I've already made my reservation.

No comments: