Thursday, October 11, 2007

Surely Not I

Read John 13:18-25

Context: The disciples are gathered in the upper room for the Passover meal -- no one but Jesus realizes this will be the last one they will celebrate together. Jesus has just finished washing their feet and he's predicting his own death.

Text:
18"I am not referring to all of you; I know those I have chosen. But this is to fulfill the scripture: 'He who shares my bread has lifted up his heel against me.'[a]
19"I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am He. 20I tell you the truth, whoever accepts anyone I send accepts me; and whoever accepts me accepts the one who sent me."

21After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, "I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me."

22His disciples stared at one another, at a loss to know which of them he meant. 23One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to him. 24Simon Peter motioned to this disciple and said, "Ask him which one he means."

25Leaning back against Jesus, he asked him, "Lord, who is it?" (NIV)

Footnotes:

John 13:18 Psalm 41:9

taken from www.biblegateway.com

It looks like Peter is being a little shy again. Only this time he has a pretty good reason. He has just made a fool of himself by refusing to let Jesus wash his feet. Honestly, I think he's afraid of the answer that Jesus might give. He's said or done the wrong thing so many times that I think he might be fearful that HE would be the one to betray Jesus, even though he wouldn't plan such a thing. I can only imagine the huge sigh of relief he feels when Jesus reveals that Judas will be the betrayer.

In fact, Peter's fears are justified. Just moments later, Jesus correctly predicts that Peter will deny him three times yet that night.

Despite the best of our intentions, we will let God down. Somehow he still loves us. Amazing, isn't it?

No comments: