Friday, March 9, 2007

Mar 9 - Don't Change the Word

Read Mt 5:17-20 and Rev 22:18-19

Context: The first text is from the Sermon on the Mount. The second is basically the close of the whole Bible.

Text:
Mt 5:17-20 17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.
18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. (KJV)

Rev 22:18-19 18I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. 19And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. (NIV)

taken from www.biblegateway.com

I decided to see if you were awake today and threw in a KJV version. Actually, I really love the words "jot" and "tittle"...don't they just sound fun?

Even if I weren't convinced that the Bible was the word of God, I think these verses would make me very hesitant to take liberties with the text...I mean, what if I was wrong? I wouldn't be interested in watching anyone suffer from the plagues listed in the Bible...much less suffer them myself. Frogs, gnats, boils, illness, snakes...ugh!

No comments: