Thursday, March 1, 2007

Mar 1 - The Reflection of God

Read Psalm 139:13-16

Context: This is a prayer for God to examine the heart and see it's true devotion (NIV Study Bible). It was written by David, a man who knew that God could find fault in his heart. The psalm starts with an admission that even though God knows David inside and out, He is still with him no matter where he goes.

Text:
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be. (NIV)

taken from www.biblegateway.com

It is pretty easy to remember that God made you and knows you. True, we all have moments (or months!) of self doubt and insecurity, but the knowledge that God created you, cell by cell, to be who you are and where you are at this moment usually helps us to step up to a challenge.

It's harder for me to remember that God knows each human being this well. When I walk past homeless people living in the street, when I see people hanging around street corners in the rougher parts of town, and when I'm face to face with a rude grocery store clerk, I often forget that God made them, too, and He knows them just as well as He knows me.

On those days when I don't see God staring back at me from the mirror, I know I look for Him desperately in other places. Some days I may be the only one who could reflect God to these people, and often I turn away. I pray that today I can reflect Him enough to give others the hope of seeing Him in themselves.

No comments: