Monday, February 9, 2009

Going Deep

Today's Verses -- 2 Timothy 3:14-17

Context:
In his second letter to a young missionary, Paul warns Timothy about the godlessness people will face in the last days and gives him advice for standing firm in his faith.

Text:
14But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced
of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15and how from infancy you
have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation
through faith in Christ Jesus. 16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for
teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man
of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. (NIV)

taken from http://www.biblegateway.com/

We have officially started an eight week session that will teach us how to study God's word indepth. For those of you who aren't able to join us on Sundays, you can listen to the sessons at http://www.icrtransform.com/ . Go to Study Resources, then audio resources, and click 'How to Read and Study the Bible by Dr. Mark E. Moore'. This week we went through the complete introduction session.

Our assignment for this week was to choose a Bible passage, about 10 - 20 verses long, which we will use for our study for the entire eight weeks.

This was a really difficult assignment for me. There are so many great stories and great things to learn that I had no idea where to start. I decided that I wanted to focus on the gospels since Dr. Moore gave so many examples from there. Then I thought that maybe I'd choose a story I didn't know much about, something that was covered in at least two of the gospels so I could make comparisons. But did I want a miracle, a teaching session, or maybe an informational passage like Jesus' selection of his disciples? I read through the subtitles and was disappointed to find that many of these sections had ten or fewer verses, which Dr. Moore said would be too short.

I really wanted something that would be incredibly meaningful and pertinent to my life right now...especially if I was going to spend eight weeks on it!

Then I remembered today's verses, advice from Paul to Timothy. It really doesn't matter what I choose...ALL scripture is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training. God has something to teach me from any passage I choose.

In the end, I have chosen John 5:16-30. The chapter subtitle is 'Life Through the Son', and it talks about how Jesus is doing his Father's work, and it is often referenced in a Bible study I'm doing called Experiencing God.

I'd love to hear what passage you have chosen and how you decided on it. Comment below and share your verses with the rest of the class.

I'm excited to find out what we all learn from this experience! I'm sure our Sunday School class will never be the same if we are all able to really worship God through our Bible studies.

However, I'm a little hesitant about that 'rebuking' part...

No comments: