Friday, February 20, 2009

Peace and Joy Be Yours!

Today's Verses -- Psalm 16:5-11

Context:
This psalm is a 'miktam of David', which probably means it is a particular type of song. It is a prayer for safekeeping.

Text:
5 LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup;
you have made my lot secure.
6 The boundary lines have fallen for
me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.
7 I will praise the LORD,
who counsels me;
even at night my heart instructs me.
8 I have set the LORD always
before me.
Because he is at my right hand,
I will not be shaken.
9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue
rejoices;
my body also will rest secure,
10 because you will not abandon me
to the grave,
nor will you let your Holy One see decay.
11 You have made known
to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (NIV)


taken from www.biblegateway.com

Do you ever stop to think that you are right where God wants you to be? Even though times are tough, he has put us on this earth for 'such a time as this', and he knows that we can glorify him in our current circumstances. Even though I have made poor decisions in my life and I often have to suffer the consequences of those decisions, his hand of protection is around me and nothing can happen that he can't turn to good. He will not abandon us no matter what.

He gives us instructions for life, and if we just follow them we have the promise of peace and joy (even if the circumstances aren't exactly what we'd hoped for). Nothing we can do will make him love us less, and nothing we do will make him love us more . . . it's just not possible. He is especially fond of each one of us! It's more than I can comprehend.

I pray that God's peace and joy will fill you today regardless of what the world throws at you.

No comments: