Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hurry up and Wait

Today's Verses -- Lamentations 3:17-26

Context:
It is believed that this book was written by the prophet Jeremiah and describes the loss the Jews felt at the destruction of Jerusalem and their exile. It consists of five 'laments' or group cries for help from God. This text is from the middle of the book and focuses on the goodness of God despite their suffering.

Text:
17 I have been deprived of peace;
I have forgotten what prosperity is.
18 So I say, "My splendor is gone
and all that I had hoped from the LORD."
19 I remember my affliction and my wandering,
the bitterness and the gall.
20 I well remember them,
and my soul is downcast within me.
21 Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:
22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
24 I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him."
25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
26 it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the LORD. (NIV)

taken from www.biblegateway.com

I am not a very patient person. Once I decide that we want or need to make a purchase, it's hard for me to wait until there's a good sale. I tend to obsess about which model we want, where we should buy it, and how much we are willing to spend. The same is true with major spiritual issues or decisions. Once I believe I understand what God wants from me, I want to move forward and get on with it.

But my timing is not God's timing. In fact, I don't think my life has ever been synchronized with God's watch. Sometimes he wants immediate action and I want to think about it for a while. Other times I'm rearing to go, and he wants me to sit and wait...and wait and wait. I act like a six year old on a long trip, continually asking 'are we there yet?'

But no matter how impatient I get or how many times I make false starts, He let's me start over every single morning. Even if he got frustrated with me, he starts each day full of new love and compassion. Each sunrise brings another chance to turn to him and wait for his will to unfold.

This is one of the things I appreciate most about him!

No comments: