Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Hot or Cold?

Today's Verses -- Revelations 3:14-22

Context:
John (the apostle) is in a trance as he hears about Heaven and the End Times directly from Jesus. This is part of an address by Christ to the seven churches.

Text:
14"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. 15I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. 19Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. 20Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. 21To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." (NIV)


taken from www.biblegateway.com

It's hard to say that today's verses are some of my favorites, but I keep returning to them for some reason. I'm afraid that Jesus would find me to be a lukewarm Christian. There are so many areas where I know I fall short -- my prayer life, Bible study, good deeds, living in the Spirit. And I give great excuses -- life is too busy, there are so many expectations related to finances, parenting, home maintenance, work, that I often find myself falling asleep yet again disappointed in the witness I provided during the day.

When I stand before Jesus, I know that he will provide grace and cover my sins, but will he say 'Susan who????' when he sees my name on the list of new citizens of Heaven?

If I look at the way I spend my time, there are weeks when I know an outsider wouldn't see Christ as my top priority. I read, but I don't really study. I pray, but I don't really converse. I give, but not really sacrificially. I worship, but often it's half-hearted. I serve, but I'd rather be somewhere else.

How would you define being a 'hot' Christian? What would it look like? Where do you fall on the thermometer?

No comments: