Wednesday, July 11, 2007

July 11 - Psalm 119, cont.

Read Psalm 119:41-48

Context: Continuation
w Waw
41 May your unfailing love come to me, O LORD,
your salvation according to your promise;
42 then I will answer the one who taunts me,
for I trust in your word.
43 Do not snatch the word of truth from my mouth,
for I have put my hope in your laws.
44 I will always obey your law,
for ever and ever.
45 I will walk about in freedom,
for I have sought out your precepts.
46 I will speak of your statutes before kings
and will not be put to shame,
47 for I delight in your commands
because I love them.
48 I lift up my hands to [c] your commands, which I love,
and I meditate on your decrees. (NIV)

taken from www.biblegateway.com

Are you starting to feel a sense of 'de ja vu' each morning when you read these? When translated, these verses feel like the work of someone who just took several words that all mean 'God's word' and found ways to repeat them creatively for each letter.

But according to my NIV Study Bible, "the author had a theme that filled his soul, a theme as big as life, that ranged the length and breadth and height and depth of a person's walk with God." He wanted to use the full power of language to describe this and he thought the alphabet was the best way. Most stanzas can be summarized with a particular thought.

If this were a test, how would you summarize this passage in one sentence?

No comments: