Friday, July 13, 2007

July 13 - God is My Portion

Read Psalm 119: 57-64
x Heth
57 You are my portion, O LORD;
I have promised to obey your words.
58 I have sought your face with all my heart;
be gracious to me according to your promise.
59 I have considered my ways
and have turned my steps to your statutes.
60 I will hasten and not delay
to obey your commands.
61 Though the wicked bind me with ropes,
I will not forget your law.
62 At midnight I rise to give you thanks
for your righteous laws.
63 I am a friend to all who fear you,
to all who follow your precepts.
64 The earth is filled with your love, O LORD;
teach me your decrees. (NIV)

taken from www.biblegateway.com

Is your portion of the 'life pie' big enough? Our society seems to thrive on the 'more is not enough' philosophy. Every time you turn on the TV or the radio, you are bombarded with messages that tell you that you aren't rich enough, beautiful enough, skinny enough, or healthy enough (well, there may be something to that last one!). You NEED to redecorate, get a bigger car, buy a fancier house, take a bigger vacation, or have a greener yard. It's easy to get pulled into the message. Just look at the level of consumer debt and you will see that the majority of Americans believe they deserve more than they have.

But God is our portion. He has put us where we are, with what we have, for a reason. We may never know the reason on this side of Heaven. Whenever we covet more than we can afford, we are essentially telling God that we believe he isn't good enough for us -- that he has made a mistake by giving us what we have and not lots more. In Philippians 4:11-12, Paul tells us that he has learned to be content regardless of his circumstances. That's pretty tough in our society (or any society in history), but it may be the secret to fully accepting the peace of God.

Well, gotta go...I just saw a great ad for a pair of shoes I just 'GOTTA' have!

No comments: