Tuesday, July 24, 2007

July 24 - God's Provision

Read John 14:15-21

Context: Jesus has gathered his disciples for his final Passover supper. He has washed their feet, predicted Peters' denial, and he's told them that he will be leaving soon. This is part of the final advice he gave them.

Text:
15"If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[a] in you. 18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." (NIV)

Footnotes:
John 14:17 Some early manuscripts and is
taken from www.biblegateway.com

It's difficult sometimes to feel God's presence. Some days I pray and I don't think my prayers get through the ceiling. Other times it seems as if God must have his answering machine on and I can't leave any messages because the tape is already full. After several days it's easy to let up on praying because it doesn't seem to help.

But God himself has promised that we have the Spirit of truth living in us. The prayers don't have to 'get through' because God already knows what we need. The Spirit will ensure that the message gets through regardless of how we 'feel' about it. We just have to believe.

Of all the gifts God gives, I think his constant presence is the best!

No comments: