Wednesday, July 18, 2007

July 18 - Wrinkled wineskin

Read Psalm 119:81-88
k Kaph
81 My soul faints with longing for your salvation,
but I have put my hope in your word.
82 My eyes fail, looking for your promise;
I say, "When will you comfort me?"
83 Though I am like a wineskin in the smoke,
I do not forget your decrees.
84 How long must your servant wait?
When will you punish my persecutors?
85 The arrogant dig pitfalls for me,
contrary to your law.
86 All your commands are trustworthy;
help me, for men persecute me without cause.
87 They almost wiped me from the earth,
but I have not forsaken your precepts.
88 Preserve my life according to your love,
and I will obey the statutes of your mouth. (NIV)

taken from www.biblegateway.com

A wineskin in the smoke (v 83)? Terry talked last Sunday about how a concept that was familiar to the writer may not be understood by readers in other cultures or other times. This would be one of those!

According to www.bible-history.com, animal skins were sewn into a large pouch to hold wine or other drinks. If the weather was bad enough that a fire had to be built inside of a tent or home wihtout a chimney, a wine skin would be hung near the fire. It would absorb most of the smoke so the people in the building could breathe better. In the process, though, the skin would become hard, black, and shrivelled. It was no longer of any use.

Satan is really good at making us feel useless for the kingdom of God. God doesn't see it that way, but it's hard to ignore those feelings when they hit. But verse 83 says we shouldn't forget God's decrees. If we keep studying the word and acting upon what we read, we will regain a sense of service and usefulness that will overcome Satan.

No comments: