Wednesday, August 27, 2008

1 Corinthians 9-10 -- The Object of My Devotion

NOTE: If you are interested, I'm giving away a copy of a book called Wild Goose Chase -- Reclaim the Adventure of Pursuing God, by Mark Batterson. You can read more about it and sign up for the drawing at http://hisreadinglist.blogspot.com/

Read 1 Corinthians 9-10

Today's Devotion -- 1 Cor 9:24-27
24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. (NIV)
taken from http://www.biblegateway.com/

Can you name five U.S. Olympians who won medals in the 1996 Olympics? How about the 2004 Olympics? Honestly, I couldn't name five who won in the 2008 Olympics! For some reason we really weren't into watching them this year. We tuned in a couple of times and saw some amazing trampoline action and the 'exciting' marathon run, but I couldn't even tell you the names of the medal winners in those events.

It often costs tens of thousands of dollars per YEAR to train at levels that will get you into the Olympics. In addition, it costs thousands of hours of painful training, injuries, and lost family time. Hundreds of people are paying these costs, yet few get the opportunity to represent our country in the international games. And only 302, out of all 10,500 the participants, went home with medals. Depending on the country you represent and the sport in which you compete, a gold medal could be worth millions of dollars in endorsements. Coming in fourth isn't worth much.

Why do people put themselves through the pain and the cost to participate? Thousands will never leave their native country to compete in the games despite years of training. One sprained ankle could cause all your efforts to be for naught. And even if you break a world record when you win, some young punk will beat you out in a few years...or even a few minutes! I'm sure it's an amazing honor to know that they are the very best at what they do in the whole world for a moment in time, but do they regret all the aches and pains that result when they are senior citizens?

In comparison to their devotion to a sport for a moment of glory, I'm embarrassed by the way I train for my eternal crown. I cut corners by skimming the Bible and not digging to find answers. I let other priorities, like phone calls, television, or wasted time, get in the way of learning. And I even fall asleep in the middle of sessions with my coach (prayer). My spiritual diet often leaves me anorexic, not well nourished.

It would be easy to see how an Olympic athlete's devotion plays out in his daily life by looking at how he spends his time. What does your life say about the object of your devotion?

No comments: