Friday, August 29, 2008

1 Corinthians -- A True Reflection

Read 1 Corinthians 13 and 15

Today's Devotion -- 1 Cor 13:11-12
11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. (NIV)
taken from www.biblegateway.com

If a police sketch artist would call you on the phone right now, could you describe your face (without looking in a mirror) well enough for your family to recognize the picture? Even if you saw the first attempt, could you tell the artist what to change?

When we are looking in a mirror, we really don't see what the world sees (if we did, why would Tammy Fay have worn so much makeup?!?!?). We may notice all of our flaws and none of the attractive features, like the anorexic who thinks she is fat. Or we may only see the good stuff and ignore the things that are unflattering (I'm thinking about 80's hair...how could we think that looked good?).

But even if we have a good realistic handle on how we look, we still only see a partial image. And in reality, God sees right through that image to view our hearts and minds. He can view our intentions, our aspirations, our deep dark secrets, and our most fervent desires --- often things we aren't even aware of.

As Christians, do you realize that God doesn't really look at the true picture, either? If we have turned our heart over to Jesus, God looks at us through a magnifying glass that has a picture of Christ imbedded in it. The closer our relationship to Christ, the more we look like him to God! The true ugliness of our sins are erased, just like a photographer erases blemishes from a photo on the computer. All he sees is the perfection of Christ.

Amazing! And we have the confidence of knowing that when we come face-to-face with Christ, we will see the true image in which God created us.

No comments: