Tuesday, August 26, 2008

1 Corinthians -- Permission Granted

Read 1 Corinthians 5-6
Today's Devotion -- 1 Cor 6:12
12"Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything. (NIV)
taken from www.biblegateway.com

In context, this verse relates to instructions from Paul about avoiding sexual immorality. However, unfortunately, it really concerns everything we do to or for our bodies, the temples of God. I have to say that this is one of my least favorite verses in the Bible!

Christ's sacrifice has allowed us to participate in the glory of God without having to follow the extensive laws that were established for the Israelites in the desert. They were told specifically what they could and couldn't eat, touch, and do, and they were given specific consequences that would follow if they disobeyed. Because of Jesus, we are able to agree with Paul that 'everything is permissible'.

If the verse ended there, it would be fine! I could do whatever I wanted to this temple I live in -- eat tons of fried foods and sweets, sit around watching television all day, listen to whatever sounds good to me, and never sit through a dentist's wicked tools again.

But even our society tells us daily that not everything is beneficial. I know pretty specifically what will happen to me if I do whatever I want...weight gain, heart and lung problems, distraction from God's priorities, and tooth decay, to say the least.

Even though I know these things, I struggle with them like Paul did (remember his "why do I do what I don't want to do, and what I want to do I don't do" confession in Romans?). Why do I eat all the great, unhealthy snacks that are put before me? Why do I find excuses not to exercise?

Sometimes I think it might be easier to live under the law...the consequences occur pretty quickly once you break one. But left on my own, the consequences of my actions often won't show up for decades, and then they may be irreversable. Surely one buttery little cookie (ok, so it looks like a frisbee) won't hurt in the long run, right? Even one each day....

If we're honest, we know how we should treat our bodies. And we know that we shouldn't be too legalistic (in eating, exercising, or any other effort) or our humanness will rebel. But God wants the best for us, and he wants us to make the best choices for our lives -- whether they relate to health, sexual morality, finances, or our time alone with him.

What ways do you struggle with God's permissiveness? What can you do today to make the right choice?

No comments: