Thursday, August 14, 2008

Acts -- Saying Goodbye

Today's Devotion -- Acts 20:25-35

Context: Paul is taking what will be his final journey through Macedonia and Greece before he heads to Jerusalem. He is in Ephesus, and he is talking to the elders of the church. He knows that the Spirit is compelling him to go to Jerusalem, and has warned him that he will face prison and hardships. He wants to be sure to finish the life task Jesus has given him.

Text:

25"Now I know that none of you among whom I have gone about preaching the
kingdom will ever see me again. 26Therefore, I declare to you today that I
am
innocent of the blood of all men. 27For I have not hesitated to proclaim
to you
the whole will of God. 28Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock
of which
the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church
of God, which
he bought with his own blood. 29I know that after I leave,
savage wolves will
come in among you and will not spare the flock. 30Even
from your own number men
will arise and distort the truth in order to draw
away disciples after them.
31So be on your guard! Remember that for three
years I never stopped warning
each of you night and day with tears.
32"Now I commit you to God and
to the word of his grace, which can
build you up and give you an inheritance
among all those who are sanctified.
33I have not coveted anyone's silver or gold
or clothing. 34You yourselves
know that these hands of mine have supplied my own
needs and the needs of my
companions. 35In everything I did, I showed you that
by this kind of hard
work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord
Jesus himself
said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' " (NIV)


taken from www.biblegateway.com

Have you ever had to say goodbye to someone you knew you would never see again? What words of wisdom or advice did you share with them? Are there any things you wish you had said?

No comments: